Monday, March 28, 2011

Free Meal Birthday Orange County

Stars lived

Super Reading book "Messier Catalog" of the wise JLComellas, Sirius Publishing Group, 4 th ed. (2008) I am in the introduction to a curious phrase:

"Almost all the great astronomers were long-lived."

And it made me think.

Is it true? Do you have something to do with the longevity to the practice of astronomy? Astronomy practice generates a lot of joy that few can appreciate (depression), is the slow and deliberate observation of the sky (torticollis), the sacrifice of sleep after a comet or a nebula and the watchful eye of an eclipse (alteration of the sleep waking, anger, tendency to officials in) and inherent dismissal and insurance trip looking at the sky (multiple fractures). Skip long cold winter nights (with orange and brandy, as I said Góngora), shivering and with dilated pupils digging the eyepiece of the telescope in the cornea ...

Now, I do not think this is very long-lived. And never mind if you dedicate yourself to smoke a pipe as Edwin Hubble or brown lees as Giordano Bruno (I did roast) or Galileo Galilei (confined at home) and run into the Church.

So I began to calculate:

Astronomer Age
Aristarchus Samos 80
Hipparchus of Nicaea 70
Ptolemy 70
J. Kepler 59
T. Brahe 65
G. Galilei 78
G. Cassini 87
I. Newton 84
J. Oort 92
N. Copernicus 70
J. Hevelius 75
E. Halley 86
W. Herschel 83
J. Herschel 79
G. Lemâitre 72
C. Messier 87
H. Leavitt 53
E. Hubble 64
C.Sagan 66
S. Chandrasekhar 85
E. Hertzsprung 94

(I hope you ring a few names, though not chronologically)


The list is far less rigorous, but I mean comes 76 years and two months.

Indeed, what we mean by longevity? (Human standards)

- Mr. DRAE:

longevity goes.
(Del lat. Longaevus, long life).
1. adj. Very old or long age.
- Ms. Maria Moliner:
-lived-a (the lat. "Longaevus" cult.)
adj. It applies to the person who has reached old age. * Old.

Come on, nobody dares to give a number to be that of longevity. A turtle is long-lived mayfly water but also can be, depends on who's compare. A tax inspector to reach fifty years of age I seem disgustingly longevity given the work that *.

Could it be that JLComellas feeling betrayed him and he thinks being an astronomer's life would be a long, fruitful and happy? Has not made the mistake of focusing on the great astronomers, chosen at random, or chosen unconsciously, lived well?

I go 76 years and beak, as is the patio, not bad. According to M. would-probably-three-quarters of life.

If anything I say would be long or short-lived your life, never neglect that you can always observe the Messier Catalog objects, gifts immortal in the sky.

* I'll go to hell for this, but I hope to one floor above the Inspectors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment